My Voting Experience on Election Day

21:53

Today is Monday, May 10, 2010 and its election day! I slept around 1:30 AM and woke up at 6:00 AM. My Aunt and Uncle were already awake; my aunt was watching the news, my uncle bought “pandesal,” we ate breakfast and my aunt woke my cousin since we all decided to go to our precinct around 6:30 AM. I didn’t notice that’s it was already 6:30 AM and I had to rush and wake my parents. I forgot that it was even my father’s birthday today and just realized it when my mother told me. We arrived at Bonifacio Javier National High School and checked which room our precinct was. The watchers (BEI) gave us a small piece of paper which had a number and we had to circle our precinct number, write down our name and sequence number. After that we had to wait in the classroom just beside our precinct until our number was called out so we can start voting.

It was really simple and we should have been finished in 30 minutes or less. The disappointing part was it didn’t turn out that way. There were numerous complaints and some made it more complicating. My uncle told me that the old procedure was that they can just go to their precinct and start voting, there wasn’t any number and they should have informed the number system in the news. That was one complaint, the second complain came from me, it was just 7:00 AM and it was really hot in the classroom and next thing I know the electric fans were not working. Half the room was filled with my relatives and 2 out of 3 of were senior citizens. My cousin and I were concerned that some of them may get a heat stroke so we decided to be a human fan for them since there’s nothing else we can do. Most of the voters chose to wait in the corridor than in the classroom, the watchers did not have control of the people and no one bothered to listen to them. My cousin took matters in her own hands, she started lining up the desk chairs and told one of the watchers what we were doing. She told them to have the voters whose numbers that are about to be called to be seated so that they’ll know that they’re about to vote. The funny thing is the watcher went in the room and started calling out the next few voters to sit down. This got me really irritated that I couldn’t help myself shout back at her. I told her that the people she should be calling are the ones who are in the corridors since we all know our numbers and we were far from the numbers being called. It took them a couple of minutes before things got organized.

The third situation is not really a complaint but just a thought. Since there were a lot of senior citizens they BEI gave them priority and they were actually a lot and most of them were my relatives. So the numbers weren’t followed and it made it longer. One of my cousins said that senior citizens should had they own room so that it won’t be a hassle for everyone and my other cousin shared her though that they should have done it in a alternate matter. For example, if the next 5 numbers are going to be called are 5 to 10 and 8,9,10 were senior citizens they should have had #8 to vote then #5, then #9 and so forth. Not 8,9,10 and then 5, 6 and 7. It was just a thought.

In my own point of view, the process was actually easy, BEI should have just been more authoritative and voters should be coordinating as well.

Here are some pictures:

On our way to Bonifacio Javier National High School



Thanks to this I knew where my Polling Place, Precinct & Cluster was...

Looking for our Room Number

Looking for our Sequence Number

I'm Number 51!!!

The Seniors

The Long Wait



Going Home Now...




My Dirty Finger...


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images